This guide assumes you have tried to connect your frame to your wifi router without success. Click here for instructions on how to initially connect your frame to to your wifi router.
|Check that the Wifi Router is on and other devices can connect to it.|
|Wifi connection status shows "Authentication Error"||
Wifi connection status shows
|This issue typically happens when there are too many devices on your wifi network. Try disconnecting 2 devices from the wifi network you are trying to connect to and then try connecting your frame. If your frame connects after this then you'll probably need to get a Wifi repeater/extender which are about $20-$30 on Amazon as of 12/2020.|
|Wifi connection status shows "Saved"||This is a generic wifi error. Usually a different status appears temporarily before settling into the Saved status. Look out for the temporary status. It should be one of the ones you see above.|
Wifi connection status shows "Connected"
Your frame is connected to Wifi. So you may have a different issue relating to Internet.
|Frame doesn't automatically connect||
This issue typically happens when there are either
|Frame drops wifi connection often||
If your wifi connection drops often requiring you to reconnect - then the frame may not be getting a great signal from the wifi router. Please try moving the frame closer to the Wifi router.
|Try a different network to verify your frame's wifi is working properly||If you are able to access a different network (such as your phone's hotspot or a neighbor's wifi) you can check to see that your frame's wifi is working properly. In rare cases the wifi on your frame may be malfunctioning.|
Can't see any Wifi Networks at all
Wifi is connected but Internet is not
|If you see a red dot on the frame but the wifi indicator shows connected then its possible your wifi router is blocking the frame's ability to connect. The most sophisticated wifi routers like Orbi give you the ability to block devices by mac address. If you have recently blocked an Android device from your network it could be your PhotoSpring frame.|
|Wifi Routers with known compatibility issues with PhotoSpring frames||
The following wifi routers have been shown to have compatibility issues with PhotoSpring frames:
Sonos has a list of Wifi routers that may also not be compatible. We have not confirmed any of these except the ones listed above but we are matching pretty close to them.
If you have one of these routers there are the following options:
1. Use an old wifi router. Connect the old router via Ethernet to your current wifi router. Connect the frame to the old wifi router.
2. Purchase a wifi extender or repeater. These are typically around $20-$30 on Amazon. The wifi extenders from TPLink or NetGear should be $20-$30 and we have used them in the lab. Connect the wifi extender to your wifi router. Then connect the frame to the extender.
3. Some Wifi Routers have a guest network that you can turn on (Linksys, NetGear). With a guest network there is no wifi password. Instead, security is handled via a web login password like you see at hotels. If you do use this method we recommend connecting the frame and then turning off SSID broadcast so that a few people as possible know about the guest network.
4. For those who are tech savvy. Create a network SSID with no security. Connect the frame. Then either stop broadcasting the network name publicly or restrict access to it to only the frame using the frame's MAC ID.
|Other things to try||
If you have gone through this checklist with no luck please contact us with the following information:
- Your wifi router manufacturer/model#
- Let us know if this is a new setup or if you did any changes to an existing setup
- The error you get on the wifi connection screen
- The serial number of your frame
Connecting Via WPS
Newer wifi routers have an easy way to initiate a connection with a device through a WPS button. Use the following instructions to connect to your wifi router using WPS.
Step 1: Determine if you have a WPS button on your wifi router
If your Wifi router supports WPS it will have a button labeled with "WPS" or an icon that looks like this:
The button is usually on the front of your wifi router.
Step 2: Go to your frame's wifi setting screen to setup WPS
If you have a WPS button on your Wifi router then:
- Go to the wifi settings screen on your frame.
- Tap the three dots in the upper right corner of the wifi screen
- In the menu that appears tap Advanced
- From the Advanced screen tap the WPS Push Button entry and follow the instructions that appear.
Wifi Router Watch List
The following Wifi routers have reported compatibility issues but have not been confirmed. One more than one user reports an issue we purchase the router in the lab and test to fix. If no fix is available then we will place the routers in the incompatible list found above.
|Wifi Router Name||Date Reported||Status|
|Netgear Nighthawk MR60||12/30/20||Waiting to confirm|
Tags: can't connect to wifi, problems connecting to wifi, not connecting to wifi, wifi won't work, wifi connection lost, trouble with wifi
|Router||Wifi Chip||Eth Chip|
|Linksys AC1200 (E5400)||MT7628DAN, MT7612EN||MT7628DAN|
|Spectrum E31T2V1 (also sold by Technicolor)||This is not a wifi router|
|Spectrum Wave2/Comscope Wave2 RAC2V1A||
Askey WLL4230 Dual